It’s almost Halloween, and it’s still possible to have some safe and spooky fun. Check out these Halloween books for kids and get in the spirit.
1. Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson: The witch and her cat are happily flying through the sky on a broomstick when the wind picks up and blows away the witch’s hat, then her bow, and then her wand! Luckily, three helpful animals find the missing items, and all they want in return is a ride on the broom. But is there room on the broom for so many friends? And when disaster strikes, will they be able to save the witch from a hungry dragon?
2. Eek! Halloween! by Sandra Boynton: All treat and no tricks, this book is a journey with nutty characters through the tradition of Halloween. It starts with an uh-oh—the chickens are nervous! Strange things are happening. One chicken saw a pumpkin with flickering eyes, another spied a mouse of enormous size. They all saw a wizard and a witch, and a spooky robot. Relax, silly chickens! It’s HALLOWEEN!
3. Big Pumpkin by Erica Silverman: The witch has grown the biggest pumpkin ever, and now she wants to make herself a pumpkin pie for Halloween. But the pumpkin is so big she can’t get it off the vine. It’s so big the ghost can’t move it, either. Neither can the vampire, nor the mummy. It looks as if there’ll be no pumpkin pie for Halloween, until along comes the bat with an idea to save the day. How can the tiny bat succeed where bigger and strong spooky creatures have failed? You’ll be surprised!
4. Ten Timid Ghosts by Jennifer O’Connell: It’s Halloween, and ten timid ghosts in a haunted house have a problem: a mean witch has moved in and is planning to scare them out, one by one! Young trick-or-treaters learn to count down from ten to one as each ghost flees from the witch’s silly costumes and homemade props. When the homeless ghosts gather in the woods, their fear turns to determination and they plot to get their house back. Will the ghosts frighten the witch away in time for Halloween night?
5. It’s Pumpkin Day, Mouse! by Laura Numeroff: Join Mouse from If You Give a Mouse a Cookie as he decorates all the pumpkins in the patch in this sweet board book from Laura Numeroff and Felicia Bond. Mouse is excited for fall because that means it is time to decorate pumpkins! But one is missing. Where could it have gone?
6. Little Boo by Stephen Wunderli: The leaves fall, the wind blows, and one little pumpkin seed tries and tries to be scary. But he doesn’t scare anyone . . . not the snowflakes in winter, not the bees in spring, not even the watering can! The wind tells him to be patient—he’ll be scary soon enough. But waiting is hard. Will the little seed ever be really, truly scary?
7. The Berenstain Bears Trick or Treat by Stan & Jan Berenstain: Come for a visit in Bear Country with this classic First Time Book from Stan and Jan Berenstain. It’s Halloween and Brother and Sister can’t wait to go trick-or-treating with all of their friends, but when someone in the group encourages the kids to play a trick, things don’t go as planned.
8. Los Gatos Black on Halloween by Marisa Montes: Under October’s luna, full and bright, the monsters are throwing a ball in the Haunted Hall. Las brujas come on their broomsticks. Los muertos rise from their coffins to join in the fun. Los esqueletos rattle their bones as they dance through the door. And the scariest creatures of all aren’t even there yet!
9. Where’s My Mummy? by Carolyn Crimi: Little Baby Mummy wants just one more game of hide-and-shriek with Big Mama Mummy before bedtime. The night is deep and dark, full of friendly creatures that click their clacky teeth and whoosh past on flippy-floppy wings. But who will comfort Little Baby Mummy if a small, scritchy-scratchy someone gives him a scare? Big Mama Mummy, of course!
10. Skeleton Hiccups by Margery Cuyler: This is a classic among Halloween books. What’s the best way to help a skeleton get over his hiccups? You’ll find out in this cute picture book for little ones.
Want to see more? Click here for a larger list of Halloween books for kids.
Boston Tutoring Services