Previously, applying to several independent schools meant spending days working on individual applications. But now, there is a new way of applying to independent schools. Much like the Common Application, the Standard Application Online (SAO) allows families to only fill out one application online which can then be used to apply to multiple schools.
This change was made in order to facilitate the independent school application process. Families will only need to obtain one transcript, one set of teacher recommendations and only fill out the personal information and essay section once. After a section has been filled out, it will automatically be imputed to the applications for all schools you have selected. The process will now look like this:
- Log on to the SAO using your SSAT log in
- Fill out the personal information section
- Using the “school search” feature, add schools
- Pay for your applications on SAO using Visa, MasterCard, or Discover
- Complete the student essay and parent statement section
- Send a transcript and provide emails for teachers who will be submitting recommendation letters
- Check every school’s requirements to make sure you have submitted all necessary components, including any necessary supplements
Once the following steps have been completed, you will be ready to submit your application to several schools in the time it would have previously taken you to complete one. With the use of SAO, families will be able to spend less time worrying about applications and more time furthering their education.
If you have any questions, please visit the SAO FAQ page.
Amanda De Moraes
Boston Tutoring Services