Hi everyone! My name is Melanie, and I am an ASHA Certified Speech Language Pathologist. I have a great deal of experience working with children ages 3-12 in order to give them the tools/strategies to be able to better access the classroom curriculum. I have worked with children diagnosed with a variety of disorders and disabilities such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), ADHD, Fragile X Syndrome, Down Syndrome, reading and writing disabilities (e.g. dyslexia, hyperlexia), hearing loss, etc.
If you notice that your child has difficulty in one of more of the following areas, I can help. I offer private speech therapy services in order to address these difficulties. At this time, due to Covid-19, all services will be conducted virtually. Please do not hesitate to reach out if your child has difficulty with one or more of the following:
1. Speech disorders (difficulty producing certain speech sounds; stuttering challenges)
2. Receptive Language difficulties (difficulty understanding others, understanding language, understanding what was read/comprehending a story, understanding main idea/details of a story, following directions, etc.)
3. Expressive Language difficulties (sharing thoughts, ideas, or feelings; telling a story, generating vocabulary words (word retrieval challenges) and making connections between words and concepts.
4. Social Communication difficulties: understanding verbal and non-verbal language appropriately, difficulty with turn-taking, perspective taking, difficulty communicating for social purposes (commenting, asking questions, greeting others, participating appropriately in a conversation), etc.
5. Cognitive challenges, which may lead to difficulty in the area of executive functioning (e.g. organizing, planning, initiating tasks, problem solving, etc.)
My passion includes working with children in order to improve their overall speech and language challenges. As a Speech Language Pathologist, I am constantly collaborating with the child’s teacher (and other specialists working with the child at school), as well as the child’s family. You know your child the best, and I am here to help support you and your family. We can work together in order for your child to better access the classroom curriculum as well as interact with peers and adults more successfully and independently.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to me with any questions that you may have! I am happy to help. I look forward to hearing from you.
Melanie Adelman, M.S. CCC-SLP
Speech Language Pathologist